• CHPanorama

Shopping Cart

 x 
Cart empty

SPONSOR SUPPORT

Search



SPONSOR SUPPORT

Timeline

John Totten 18th Century - Present

1767
John Totten (d. 1785), weaver, is the first documented member of the Totten family to purchase land and settle on Staten Island.

1834
John Totten, Jr., purchases waterfront property at the foot of today's Main St. where he builds a dock and general store.

1840
Totten's Shipyard is established by William Totten, John Jr.'s brother, on the Arthur Kill waterfront adjacent to Totten's Dock.

1841
Bethel Methodist Church is built on an acre of land donated by John Totten, Sr.
1850
The Rutan Shipyard is established by brothers James M. and William H. Rutan.  The business operates for nearly 30 years.
1851
John Totten Jr. establishes the Tottenville Post Office and is appointed postmaster.
1853
The post office is moved to Bentley St. and renamed Bentley.
1855
The Butler & Sleight Shipyard is established near Ward's Point.
1855
Robert Journeay acquires property along the shores of the Arthur Kill and establishes the Journeay Shipyard.
1857
The Ellis Shipyard, located to the east of Totten's Dock, is founded by Jacob S. Ellis in 1857 and continues through the 1920s.
1860
The Staten Island Railway is extended to Tottenville (foot of Main St.).
1861
The post office is renamed Tottenville. 
1865
World-renowned artist William Page builds an octagon house near the southwest corner of Hylan Blvd and Page Ave.
1886
Bethel Church is destroyed by fire.  The church is rebuilt on the same site and dedicated in 1887.  
1897
The Atlantic Terra Cotta Works is established along Ellis St.
1898
Staten Island consolidates with the other four boroughs to become the City of Greater New York. 

1899
Tottenville's first library opens at 206 Johnson Ave. 

TCC 20th Century

1900
The Tottenville Copper Co. (later Nassau Smelting) is established.
1904
The Tottenville Branch Library, 7430 Amboy Road, becomes the first Carnegie library on Staten Island.
1904
St. Louis Academy, a private school for girls, opens on Main St.
1905
A new school building, P.S. 1, opens its door on Summit St.  The old  school building, previously called Bay View Academy and Westfield District School No. 5, is renamed P.S. 1 Annex.
1909
Cornerstone is laid for the Masonic Lodge, Huguenot Lodge #381, on Main St.
1910
Post office name changes to Bentley Manor.
1914
Congregation Ahavath Israel organizes and incorporates in 1916.  It is not until 1933, however, that the congregation builds a house of worship.
1915
The Norwegian Evangelical Free Church elects trustees and incorporates.  In 1917, a lot at 266 Wood Ave. is purchased and a church built in 1924.  Today, it is called Tottenville Evangelical Free Church.
1922
The 123rd Police Precinct, a three-story masonry building, is constructed at 116 Main St.
1922
The trackless trolley begins operation to Tottenville.  Fare:  5 cents. It is replaced by bus service in 1927.
1923
The brick apartment buildings at 239-241 Main St. are constructed.
1925
The Conference House Association is formed to preserve the house.  The house is dedicated and opened to the public in 1937.
1927
The Stadium Theatre at 217 Main St. opens.
1928
The Outerbridge Crossing, connecting Perth Amboy, NJ to Staten Island, is opened to vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
1929
Construction of the FDNY firehouse at 7219 Amboy Rd. is completed.
1931
The Tottenville Copper Co. is sold to Western Electric Co. and renamed Nassau Smelting and Refining Co.
1936
A new high school, Tottenville High School, opens its doors.
1942
An Honor Roll Plaque to honor Tottenville men and women serving in World War II is erected on Main St., across from the Stadium Theatre.  It was removed circa 1950; its whereabouts is unknown today.

1948
The side-wheeler ferryboat Charles W. Galloway, operated by the Staten Island Railroad, made its last run to Perth Amboy on Oct. 16, 1948. 

1961
The South Shore Swimming Club is opened and dedicated.
1962
A new post office building at 228 Main St. is completed.

1963
Ferry service between Tottenville and Perth Amboy ended.

1963
April 20, 1963 - Black Saturday:  Brush fires destroy more than 100 homes on Staten Island including Rossville's Sandy Ground community and Tottenville's beach community south of Hylan Blvd.  

1964
The Guthrie Scout Shack, located on Bethel Church property, burns to the ground.
1965
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, Amboy Rd., burns.
1965
Page Ave.'s first strip mall, Page Avenue Shopping Center, opens at the corner of Page Ave. and Amboy Rd.  The A&P relocates there from 209 Main St.
1972
A newly constructed Tottenville High School opens on Luten Ave. in Huguenot.
1972
S.S. White Dental Co. closes its Prince's Bay plant.
1975
The Rinky Dink Roller Rink opens on Valentine's Day in the old Stadium Theatre building.  Admission:  $1.65.
1976
The West Shore Expressway is built, connecting the Outerbridge Crossing to the Goethals Bridge and the Staten Island Expressway.
1980
Population:  6,486
1985
Our Lady Help of Christians Church is destroyed by fire.  A new church is dedicated in 1990.
1987
The 135 ft. smokestack from the Atlantic Terra Cotta Company on Ellis Street is razed.
2005
The Tottenville Historical Society is founded.
2005
The James L. and Lucinda Bedell House, 7484 Amboy Rd., a NYC landmark, is spray-painted with neon colors by its owner.
2007
Population:  11,931