Vintage postcards are treasures! Beginning around 1900, postcards became very popular for sending short messages and even photographic images to friends and relatives. Today, postcard collecting is the third largest collectable hobby after stamps and money.
We are happy to offer a window into the history of our community through our Postcard Views Gallery.
- Tottenville's first movie house, Palace Theatre, can be seen in this circa 1920 postcard. This view of Craig Ave. looking north was taken from Butler Ave..
- The Atlantic Terra Cotta Works was founded in 1897 and was located on Ellis St., Tottenville.
- A.C.Brown & Sons Shipyard began building boats in 1873. It was the most successful shipyard in Tottenville.
- Benjamin Lowenstein, a Manhattan businessman, establlished the Tottenville Copper Co. in 1900. The metal recycling plant was later known as Nassau Smelting and Refining Co. This card predates the Nassau train station.
- Cossey's Shipyard (1905-1925) specialized in building dry docks and barges.
- Killmeyer's Restaurant, located at Arthur Kill Rd. and Sharrotts Rd., began as a grocery store and tavern circa 1855. In 1890 expansion included a dining area and rooms to board.
- The Tottenville National Bank, built 1915, Main St. and Craig Ave.
- S.S. White Dental Manufacturing Co., Prince's Bay (1881-1972) was one of the largest employers on Staten Island.
- Pleasant Plains Business Section, Amboy Rd. looking east toward Tottenville.
- St. Paul's United Methodist Church, built 1859, Amboy Rd. and Swinnerton St, Tottenville.
- Public School 1, 58 Summit St., was completed in 1906 with 27 classrooms for grades K-8.
- The Tottenville Casino, Rockaway St. and Surf Ave., was a highly popular restaurant and summer dance hall. It burned down in 1940.
- St. Louis Academy, a private Catholic girls school, relocated from Tottenville (Main St.) to its new quarters in Pleasant Plains in 1930.
- St. Joachim and St. Anne R.C. Church, Mount Loretto, built in 1891 and destroyed by fire in 1973. Rebuilt 1976.
- A rare view of Prince Bay train station, circa 1905. Note the one-track rail line and street grade crossing.
- Aquehonga Clubhouse, Brighton St., Tottenville, built for the Aquehonga Athletic Club in the 1880s. Later it was used by the Scouts. Demolished 1999.
- Richmond Memorial Hospital (1940s), Seguine Ave., Prince Bay, now Staten Island University Hospital South, was built in honor of WWI veterans.
- The new brick building for St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, Amboy Rd. at Chelsea St., was dedicated in 1967.
- Our Lady Help of Christians R.C. Church was a beautiful Romanesque style building that was destroyed by fire in 1985. It was rebuilt in the same location at Amboy Rd. and Yetman Ave. in 1990.
- A devastating fire destroyed the orignal St. Stephen's Church on Feb. 5, 1965, seen here in this 1909 image.
- This photo postcard of P.S. 1 is dated June 23, 1907. Note that the terra cotta eagle has not yet landed above the entry door.
Well already everyone have that where can i buy cialis online found with ease in the Internet. In distinct on our website it is full of it. But you forget and constantly you ask.