We can learn a lot about the history of our town from the names of the streets and places.
Many of our streets were named for prominent families who were successful business people or civic leaders and owned large amounts of land. Now that we have a better understanding of the history of our town and the people who came before, we'd like to share with you some of what we've learned about these street names and the families they were named for:
Amboy Road - one of the 9 oldest roads on Staten Island. It was often referred to the "the road leading to the ferry." As early as the 18th century this ferry led to Perth Amboy, NJ.
Arlington Ave. - Pittsville Ave. between Brighton St. and Yetman Ave.
Barnard Ave. - Owen H. Barnard built and owned a silk mill on Richmond Valley Road. Although he lived along the waterfront near Allentown Lane in Charleston, he also owned acreage near today's Barnard Ave., Tottenville, where his daughter Belle lived after his death.
Butler Ave. - Daniel Butler, oysterman, resided at the corner of Butler Ave. and Amboy Rd., and owned several acres here.
Depew Ave. - Billop Ave. between Brighton St. and Rockaway St.
Ellis St. - Jacob Ellis established Tottenville's first shipyard on the Sound, between Main and Tyrrell Sts. Jacob's brother, Cornelius C. Ellis, another Tottenville resident, was a tug boat captain and harbormaster for New York City.
High St. - See Lenhart St.
Hylan Blvd. - Named for John Francis Hylan (1868-1936), the Mayor of New York City from 1918 to 1925. Not many people remember when Hylan Blvd. was constructed in 1927. A median, albeit short-lived, ran down the center of the road from Page Ave. to the Conference House. Hylan Blvd. continued to the water's edge where the Russell Pavilion will soon be reconstructed.
Lee Ave. - Formerly Center St. and later named for Robert Lee and sons, builders, who constructed many homes along this street and the surrounding streets. The Lee family resided at 7372 Amboy Road.
Maguire Ave. (Pleasant Plains) - Andrew Maguire (1860-1950), of Manhattan, Supervisor of Janitors with the NYC Board of Education, owned 40 acres along the east side of Maguire Ave. in 1907.
Pittsville Ave. - See Arlington Ave.
St. Andrew's Place - Near the Nassau train station, St. Andrew's Church at one time owned several acres in this area.
Wood Ave. - There were numerous Wood families residing in Tottenville early on. Wood Avenue was laid out in 1868. Elias P. Wood, oysterman, owned much of the land surrounding this street.
Many local victims of September 11 have been honored with a secondary street sign throughout the community.