7647 Amboy Rd., ca. 1848
Designated March 24, 2009
The Rutan-Journeay House was built for James M. Rutan, a ship builder and carpenter who, with his brother, established the Rutan Shipyard on the Tottenville waterfront. In 1859 John S. Journeay purchased the house from Rutan. The Journeay family arrived on Staten Island in the late 17th century. John, a blacksmith, in partnership with other family members, operated a shipyard just north of Main St. The house is one of the best-preserved houses representing the early building traditions on the South Shore.