509 Seguine Ave., Built late 17th to early 19th century
NYC Landmarks Preservation Report
Designated September 11, 1984
Later known as the Homestead Hotel or, more commonly, Purdy's Hotel, the rubblestone wing of this building probably dates to before 1700. Abraham Manee, a French Huguenot, was one of its earliest owners followed by the Seguine family who lived nearby (see Seguine House). The family often referred to this house as the "old homestead." In 1874 Stephen Purdy purchased the property using a portion of the house as a boarding house. The area had become a popular summer resort for city dwellers.
The house and property, owned by a developer since 2009, remains in a state of disrepair despite a 2019 court ruling to transfer title to the New York City.