7474 Amboy Rd., ca. 1869-74
Designated April 12, 2005
This Second-Empire style frame residence was built by James L. Bedell, carpenter and cabinet maker, who was most likely assisted by his brother, Isaac P. Bedell, carpenter-builder and founder of the oldest undertaking business in New York City. Chester A. Cole, prominent architect responsible for the restoration of the Conference House, was the second owner. Sold in 2005 to a builder with plans to demolish, the community rallied to save the house. Although it qualified and subsequently received landmark status, the current owner removed many original ornamental elements and fully destroyed the interior. The house was sold in 2009 and has been fully restored.